Lincoln University College, Malaysia (e-ISBN:- 978-967-2819-14-1) in collaboration with
Lincoln Research and Publications Limited, Australia (ISBN:- 978-967-2819-05-9)
Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Corresponding Author’s Email: email@example.com
The Entrepreneurship is an old concept not only in India but also in ancient world. During ancient days, the cottage Industries, Handlooms, manufacturing of the handicrafts were the main earnings of the human beings. With the arrival of Science & Technology, the people tend to maintain their livelihood in the Industries, Offices, different types of business, Banks etc and the Entrepreneurship started lagging. Now it has again surfaced out with competition, quality, quantity manufacturing, Export market in Micro, small, Medium Industries. Govt of India, Ministry of Textiles have opened their doors in support of the same. The modern Technology is helping the new Entrepreneurs to produce verities and more new conception, more better business turnover. It requires high self-motivation, vision, business conception, contacts with various trades right from the raw material procurement, Manufacturing processes, storage, and logistics. In almost all cases. the Females are at progressive stage. Today, women empowerment has occupied at top level even in Higher education and in B – Schools. Maximum scopes are found in Textile and related fields because of the vast areas, people`s growing choices, self-decoration, and presentation especially in the festivals and celebrations. Every state has it`s own glorified handloom sarees which are earning Revenues in domestic and Export Markets. Khadi and Village Industries have restored with glamours and huge employments and Earnings. Similar are the cases in Power loom sectors which fetches 60% clothes to the market. Cottage Industries with low manufacturing cost has come, but in certain areas (Dyeing etc) the young generation is declining to enter in the business. Circular Economy, upgrade recycling of the textile materials is growing which is boosting the country’s economy, employment, and growing entrepreneurship.This paper has coved maximum areas of growth in Entrepreneurship, women/men`s participations and with innovative ideas.
Keywords: Women Participants, Handloom Sectors, Power Loom Sectors, Cottage Industries, Textiles and Allied Products, Innovations
Today`s world is at the stage of survival. Every category of mankind wants to survive, wants to earn their bread & butter. Although most of the people like to earn money by means of service, jobs in any sector, time bound works but slowly the conception of Entrepreneurship is being surfacing out. Most of them are involved in Textile and Textile related jobs as the scopes are highest in these sectors as after Agriculture if fetches maximum scopes and employments.
In this sector most of the people are women, and a good percentage is self-earner and independent. There are Self – help group, sole bread earners, or community related. Again, a good percentage are operating from the Rural areas. Among the small-scale Industries, 30-35% are of Textiles and that of about 70% are of Handicraft.
Govt of India has supported this Entrepreneurship by coming out with MSME, Ministry of Skill & Entrepreneurship and with several other schemes. Handloom sectors, power loom sectors, KVIC, Handicraft Boards, micro to small and medium enterprises are gaining space all over the India and any woman/man who are willing to come forward are the best gainers.
The capacity and willingness to develop, organize and manage a business venture along with any of its risks in order to make a profit. It must arrive from the self-motivation. The entrepreneurship means to start any new business with full concept by getting data.
There should be initiative, dedication and liking to continue the works. Also, to find resources, with better output and less competition. Must have the deep love in the works that can be in single hand, or in a group, in family or cooperative basis. There should be likeminded people to run the business when there is a greater number of people rather than single handed.
The Economical survey reveals that any Entrepreneurship can be related to any field which can make a profitable business that innovations with new & newer products. It essential for the upliftment of the country which will fetch employment, generate revenue in competition with global Market.
Before starting a new business or expansion, one must know the suitable resources of the raw materials, whether the skilled workforce is available, or the unskilled workforce can be upgraded to the proper skill level, financial resources (From Banks, community, relative/friends, in exchange of any movable/immovable properties or from any ancestral properties) and the marketing potentialities. Nothing can be done whimsically.
Ideas can be taken from any similar business, experts, Bankers, MSME, Department of Industries, good economist, wholesalers, areas where one lives, Net survey, from the Institutions where you studied (NID, Nift, Fashion designing, Textile Institutes etc).
There is as such no fine demarcation is found between the types of works and that of responsibilities of any male or female in Textiles either in the organised or in decentralised sectors. But it is in general found that the works with heavier loads (Say to operate heavier looms), more of the outside works, logistic related, works related to long distance travels, carrying heavy luggage’s, works related at night are carried out by the men. Now a days, even in some places the women are also started taking parts in those fields.
Some of the works are exclusively meant for the women say boutique, women`s beautification (During marriage or in any festival, hair dressings, Mehndi works, to colour the border of the feet, facials,) to beautify the floors/walls of the temples, rooms etc.
The involvement of the women in Textiles are found even in thousand years before since the start when the human beings started to wear cloths!
Figure 1: Manufacturing the cloths by the women in ancient India
Figure 2: Handloom weaving by women at present days
Figure 3: Women empowerment: The present day`s women at work parallel to the
male (Chatterjee, 2021)
Why are women preferred in Textile Entrepreneurships?
1 Here are the six advantages that women entrepreneurs have
• The women are having better social networking, let that advantage can be adopted.
• Intuition. …
• Pain Tolerance. …
• Multi-tasking. …
• Patience. …
• In the Field of Entrepreneurship, the women are having very progressive roles. They are becoming more and more educated , understanding their responsibilities and are becoming more Expert both in Domestic front and in running the business simultaneously. They are by nature having more patience, negotiating and budgetary skills.
• The % of the women in the B-Schools is increasing each year. Year 2021-22 IIM -A has shown 23% Female, IIM -Raipur, Kozhikode has shown higher Female intake than men and the overall % in the Top six IIM for the year of 21 has increased to 33.5% from 26 of previous year. All it shows the better participants of the women in Business to high business management and entrepreneurships.
• Today `s women have their multitasking abilities. Affirming this notion, Ms. Husain Chairperson and Managing Director of Shanaz Husain Group of companies elaborate, “the women who is creative finds greater freedom to translate her creativity and ideas when she has her own enterprise. For those women without high professional qualifications and those who are from a lower economic sector, entrepreneurship is a means of earning money and contributing to the family income. However, the challenge for the larger sections of women in India lies in crossing the threshold, overcoming barriers, and discovering their own potential and identity. The climate is more conducive today and the time is right.” It becomes more effective with the hand in hand works with male counterpart.
• Today the female counterparts can run the business by handling many activities at a time such as to attend phone, check mails and pending works after balancing their social and family life.
• The Women entrepreneurs are mindful on their selection & Choices, who can transfer their thoughts and ideas to others for the necessary actions and better results.
• In General, the women entrepreneurs are underestimated w.r.t. result orientation, but the female mentors with self-confidence can even overpower the males in becoming the successful Entrepreneur.
• Hence any business or Entrepreneurship should be carried out hand in hand and the areas of the Responsibilities can be distributed depending upon the situation.
• It is found that any woman is earning her bread working in an office is not happier than that of any entrepreneur as the latter is the boss of her own. In entrepreneurship she can earn her bread sitting at home too after maintaining her personal and family life.
2 Disadvantage: One of the great Disadvantage of the Female Entrepreneurs that they must pay their personal attention to their child/children. During the start-up of any entrepreneurship, it requires high attention and sometimes the children are neglected. That is unwanted. In such case involvement of the senior citizens, devotion of some times during daytime and more times during off – duty hours.
3 Female Entrepreneurs Versus Male Entrepreneurs
• The studies reveal that during the start up of any business, the men are having more advantages over man especially in the Male dominated societies.
• More studies reveal that with the proper understanding between male/female, the success/failure do not matter a lot.
• Despite all above, there are some impacts of the female Entrepreneurship during start up. It is higher if she runs the business as a sole proprietorship.
4 Experience & Expectations
4.1 Risk Tolerance
For the obvious reasons, most of the females like to adopt low risk / low return business. The males at times like to start any business right from low risk to high risk / high profit. It can be more of Technical oriented with new inventions so that there should be less competition. Though the risks are sometimes unavoidable, but the females can opt for risk-oriented business for a better gain. For any risk/gain business one must go for Market research thoroughly.
4.2 Education, Business Size, Hours Worked
Today the conception of the education in male/female ratio that the females are less intellectuals, less qualified are proved to be far from the truth. All the entrepreneurs managed by single handed or by both, it is found that the level of qualifications and that of working hours are equally comparable for both. It is a welcome move by the female entrepreneurs (small or big) which need not to prove their inferiority with their ongoing developments at each area.